After 142 days in Europe it is now time for us to return to Canada. As we fly out of the snow capped mountains peaks of Switzerland we are thinking about how the end of this travel adventure is bittersweet. On one hand we are so happy to know that in a few hours we’ll be back home with our family and friends. On the other hand we will miss the anticipation of waking up each morning and venturing out to discover a new place. Each destination gave us an education on how other cultures experience life and we were so fortunate to learn from them.
We know friends and family will want to know our favourite spots and experiences. This will be extremely difficult to answer. We’ve come up with a list of our 25 most memorable moments, but this is a very short list. We could have added so much more to this list.
Here below is our short list ( 25) of some of our most memorable places and moments:
1. Views & lunch at the Pousada de Viana do Castelo, Portugal.
2. Sipping port in the beautiful Douro Valley, Portugal.
3. “Wineing & dining” with Canadian friends in Porto, Portugal.
4. New friendships made in Porto & Kotor.
5. Our home cooked dinner in a Portuguese home in Porto.
6. Our morning & evening walks along the promenade at Kotor, Montenegro.
7. Our memorable day at Castel Savina Winery in Herceg Novi, Montenegro.
8. Our relaxing day in Perast, Montenegro.
9. The rhythm of life in Zagreb, Croatia.
10. Having our son, Mathieu with us for a week in Budapest.
11. The emotional Jewish Memorial (shoes by the river bank) in Budapest.
12. The early morning splash at the Széchenyi Thermal Baths in Budapest.
13. Romantic sunsets in Rovinj, Istria.
14. “La nostalgie” in Venice.
15. Truffle hunting & binging on truffles in Istria.
16. Open Kitchen Fridays (Odprta Kuhna) in Ljubljana.
17. Sipping rosé together on Lake Blend island.
18. Morning walk around the serene Lake Bled.
19. The evening stroll across Lucerne’s Chapel Bridge..
20. Reaching the peak of Mount Pilatus.
21.Being surrounded by a younger generation in most places we visited.
22. Awesome oldies music that was playing in so many places during our time in Europe. Apart from Portugal, I don’t think we heard any recent music. It was either jazz or our favourite oldies. Here’s one that played often and we want to remember. You might recall this one as well.
23. We were 99% pleased with our accommodations in the airbnb’s we booked.
24. We had 90% of the time excellent weather during the whole time we were in Europe.
25. Having so many family & friends keep in touch with us during our travels either by email, Face time or through our blog. It was great and comforting having you travel along with us!
26. Number 26, I’m adding to our list. My hubby is one special traveling and life companion. Couldn’t have done it without him.
What we are looking forward too when we return to Canada –
- Seeing family & friends.
- Start planning for the next travel adventure together! 😊🧳
“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.”